Skip header navigation

Postgraduate loans and funding

Do you need help funding your postgraduate course? Take a look at our wide range of postgraduate loans, scholarships and funding opportunities.

Scottish/EU students

If you need financial assistance, the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) may be able to provide you with a loan of up to £10,000 to help cover tuition fees and living costs. 

These loans are available to Scottish and EU students taking full-time or part-time postgraduate courses – although eligible EU students are typically only entitled to support of up to £5,500.

Find out more about a postgraduate SAAS loan.

English, Welsh and Northern Irish students

Joining us from England? You may be eligible to fund your studies at the University of Stirling through the UK Government’s new postgraduate loan scheme. You can borrow up to £10,906 per year as part of the UK Postgraduate Loan Scheme, which applies to most UK postgraduate courses.

PhD students are able to apply for a PhD loan from Student Finance England if they are a UK national, ordinarily resident in England, beginning a PhD at any UK university in the 2018-19 academic year.

You must also be aged 59 or under and not already hold qualifications at PhD level.

Loans can be combined with funding from your university or other sources, but not with Research Council funding, NHS funding or other direct Government funding. More information is available via FindaPhD.

If you’re a Northern Irish postgraduate student, you may be eligible to apply for a postgraduate loan being offered by the Northern Ireland Executive’s Department for the Economy. You can borrow up to £5,500 for a one year postgraduate course, and applications can be made directly through Student Finance Northern Ireland.

Coming to us from Wales? You may be eligible to receive a loan of up to £13,000 from the Welsh Government to cover the costs of your tuition fees and living costs. These loans are non-means tested, and applications can be made online through Student Finance Wales.

postgraduate journalism student

Career Development Loan

Are you currently living in the UK? If you’re a UK resident and meet the desired eligibility criteria, you may also be entitled to apply for a specific bank loan called a Career Development Loan. Loans range from £300 to £8,000, depending on your circumstances. Find out more about the Career Development Loan.

student and lecturer in library

Employer sponsorship

Your employer may give you paid leave to pursue your Masters, or even pay for part of your tuition fees and associated costs. If your chosen course is directly relevant to your work, it may be worth speaking with your employer. The in-depth knowledge you learn on your course, could benefit your employer.

International students

If you’re an international student you may be entitled to the University of Stirling International Postgraduate Taught International Excellence Scholarship – giving a £5,000 reduction in the cost of your annual tuition fees.

Use our Scholarships search to discover more international student scholarships.

Students from the USA

The University of Stirling is eligible to certify loan applications for the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP). US students who are enrolled on a University of Stirling degree are eligible for loans and may borrow up to their calculated Cost of Attendance (provided by the university and updated for each year of a student’s programme). Please read our information on Financial Aid for US Students.

Graduate admissions

If you have any questions about postgraduate study please contact us.

Scroll back to the top